Baby Burned At Hospital
Newborn Isabel was born just a few days ago, but her parents worry what a St. Joseph Medical Center nurse did while in the hospital may have a lasting impact.
“My baby has second-degree burns on her foot and ankle and now we are just trying to get her treated,” Spencer Lewandowski, the baby’s father, said.
He said his little girl suffered second-degree burns while she was getting a PKU test, which is a routine blood-draw for newborns.
“They got a diaper and filled it full of water and put it in the microwave and then applied to my baby’s ankle and foot, which caused second-degree — severe second-degree — burns,” Lewandowski said.
Lewandowski has hired attorney Tim Culberson to represent him.
“The nurse took a diaper, wet it and put in a microwave and then put it on the baby’s heel and hurt the heel. I’ve been representing children with injuries for 16 years and I’ve never heard of this happening,” Culberson said.
“At St. Joseph Medical Center, the safety and care of our patients is our utmost concern,” St. Joseph Medical Center said in a statement to KPRC 2 News. “We are aware of the complaint, and are conducting a thorough investigation that is ongoing. The hospital is committed to providing high quality health services to the communities we serve.”